Tuesday, April 29, 2014

6 Reasons Why I Still Need My Mom

#1 Tuesday - I dropped my husband (protector, companion and best friend) off at the airport and I picked up my mom (mother, gramma to my boys and my confidante).  I hate to stay alone, so I purposefully asked my mom to fly in the day Doug had to fly out for a conference.  I needed her company mostly, but have also benefited from her huge servant's heart made obvious by so much practical help around the house and with the boys.  Thanks, Mom!

The boys were of course excited to greet Gramma as well.  We were all thrilled to see that Penn made friends with her fast now that he's finally growing out of his intense stranger (meaning anyone but mom and dad) danger phase.
Gramma had promised to bring Koen his birthday present on this visit, so he was very excited to check out what it could be.  First, he got to open an Easter gift for all the boys (appropriately, "The Berenstain Bears and the Easter Story").
Of course Gramma had to bring something for all the boys, not just Koen, so she got Tav a Planes magnetic scene toy.  He was so excited to see all his favorite Planes characters!
And then for Koen's much anticipated gift.  The DVD of "Frozen!"  Yay!  He was almost in shock.  It was really cute.  He was definitely surprised.
Thanks, Gramma!  

#2 - Wednesday - We spent the day with a sick Penn Rye.  He finally came down with Tav and Koen's gross cold virus from Easter break.   That day Gramma was my advice, my extra pair of hands and breaks of laughter amidst a pretty pitiful and intense day with poor, sick Penn.  Thanks, Mommy!

#3 - Thursday - Turns out the sick drama wasn't over.  On Wednesday afternoon Koen came home from school with a fever and a painful, sore throat.  Although he bounced back quite well after some Tylenol, I was thrown for a loop with two out of three kiddos feverish, snotty and sick (especially since I just spent last week dealing with the same gunk!).  In the night it became evident his throat was a major problem and then he was unable to eat or drink on Thursday morning at breakfast, so I immediately figured it was strep and took him to the doctor's sick clinic after dropping Tav off at preschool.  Mom was my sounding board, my listener, my rock and she just let me pout, problem solve and process the situation (not to mention she babysat Penn during a long Thursday morning of a doctor's appointment and visit to the pharmacy for Koen).  Just what I needed.  So thankful you were here!

Koen rebounded amazingly quickly from the painful strep and by the afternoon was needing some special attention time, so he jumped right into his animal report work for school with Gramma.  He did not want to stop until he finished researching all the questions for the project.  Gramma was his faithful helper!


#4 - Friday - The drama continues!  Most of Thursday Penn was still not acting like himself, little appetite and fever.  It did start to break in the afternoon, but after the development of Koen having strep and some symptoms continuing (including a scarlet fever rash like the one that popped up all over Koen) I decided to spend my Friday morning at the sick clinic, but this time with Penn.  Koen was able to go to school since he already had two doses of amoxycillin, but Gramma stayed home with Tavin.  Again, she was my babysitter on the fly and quite the comforter as I tried to roll with the punches of this very odd week I had much better plans for in my head!  Thanks, Mom.

Koen came home from school happy and healthy and Penn woke up fever free and much more like himself after his Friday afternoon nap, so Mom and I decided it was the night to treat ourselves to dinner out (i.e. no prep and no dishes!).  


#5 - Saturday - On Saturday Mom (aka, Gramma) got to spend the morning with Koen as the little guys and I had plans to go to a toddler birthday party and then pick up Doug from the airport.  Gramma wasn't only a babysitter this day, but showed Koen a really, special intentional morning with some one-on-one time for them and it meant the world to Koen (and to me since K was so very much on my nerves that morning being needier than the little ones for some reason, just one of those days).  Thanks, Mom (Gramma).

#6 - Sunday - Although Doug was back home at this time, I'd barely seen him and of course with it being Sunday, he had to work so it was me and the boys, but thankfully today, also Gramma!!  We took the boys to the playground after church.  It was so nice to have her company, but also to share some typical Melder boy moments with her (since we missed so many earlier in the week with 2/3 of the clan under the weather!).  



I even got a chance to attempt some Gramma and grandson group pictures.  Here were the best ones.  I just love my boys.  Never a dull moment (even in pictures!).


The fun didn't stop when we got home.  We had a quick lunch and then the boys (all 3) ended up playing really well together with some construction vehicles, later it transitioned (not sure how) to a Melder boy band show.  Hilarious.  The boys set up chairs for the audience (me and Gramma) and we enjoyed the show so very much.  Here's a glimpse for the readers.

Tav was singing with all his might.  Oh my goodness!
From vocals to harmonica...
...to recorder, Tav can do it all.  And did you notice who else joined the band?

If you can handle it (loud, a little off key and lots of fun), click to play the video below.
Sunday was filled with moments of enjoying the boys.  Something I long to share with my mom so many days when she is so far from here, so I was so thankful you were here, Mom, to just soak up the crazy, wonderful, loud Melder life this day.  Thanks for being here, Mommy!

#6 - Monday - After 6 days together, we've settled into co-existing, just doing the extraordinary ordinary alongside each other (literally we were laughing at how much better a kitchen would be with two sinks and two dishwashers so that we could both be productive at the same time with dinner clean-up).  My mom is the one that taught me how blessed (and not so much about how sometimes brutal) being at home with my kids can be through her faithful service of choosing to do that for me, my brother and my sister.  I love that she paved the way for me so that each and every day I do this mom thing, I have her to look to, think of and rely on for support, laughs and love as I trip, travail and triumph.  She's not perfect, but she's my mom and she's my go-to, my encourager and my example.  I love you, Mom.

Thanks for another great visit!  (And P.S. - Sorry about the cold you went home with!)

1 comment: