Friday, August 30, 2013

On the First Day in the First Grade

Yesterday was Koen's first day of First Grade!  I can't believe I have a child old enough to be in first grade, yet at the same time, it is so exciting to be alongside a child of this age watching them discover their world, make friends, learn new things every day and develop into more of what they will one day fully be.  Unlike last year where I was pretty much ready for Kindergarten to start the day after preschool ended, this year, I've had a hard time bidding goodbye to our summer routine and starting this new chapter for Koen.  First off, this summer went really well and I enjoyed my buddy (although I had my fair share of moments where I was overwhelmed by his intensity).  Honestly, I've been tossing around the idea of homeschooling for so many reasons and as I prepared for his first day of school I wanted to just pull him out and go for it.  But I'm trying to trust the Lord that this is OK for him and we will get into the routine and I will be able to release the control and trust that it's OK to take it a day at a time and see how this goes.  Last year it was easier to let him go as it was just half day, but it just seems like so much time away to have him out of the house all day 5 days a week.  Well, that's all about how I felt leading up to Day 1 of 1st Grade, but we should cover how Koen felt.  Easy...He was so excited!  He showed a few nervous questions in the final days leading up to the first day, but for the most part he was confident, excited and at ease.  I had the pleasure of dropping him off at school the first morning.  Look at my big boy (in his oh so urban setting).
He had a great first day.  He came home happy and very talkative.  He was super pleased about the surprise note I left in his lunchbag that he read "all by himself."  

I had a welcome note for him at home too (which he also read all on his own and he was happy about that too).
I missed my afternoon buddy so much I baked chocolate chip cookies as a surprise for his homecoming and we had a great chat about his first day while enjoying them.  I'm still not convinced that sending him off is the absolute best thing, but until we figure that out I'm so thankful he's in a safe place where they care about him and they love the Lord and he is loving it in the meantime.  Welcome to First Grade, Koen.  I am excited (and praying over) all you will learn this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment