Friday, April 10, 2015

Koen's 8th Birthday

Can you believe it?  Koen is 8!!!  It's crazy to think this person has been in our lives for 8 years already.  Time really flies.  Sometimes I look into his freckled face and green-ish eyes and just marvel at the fact this child is mine and am amazed at how he's grown in this seemingly short 8 years.  Of course there are other times I look into that same face and those same eyes and am just puzzled at how to relate to this boy of mine who has the same struggles we all do against the human nature we innately own.  These 8 years have been some of the best years of my life.  With Koen entering my life, I entered a phase I had dreamed of since I was a very little girl...motherhood.  It's been a lot more challenging than I had anticipated (my Cabbage Patch doll never talked back), but it's also been infinitely more rewarding than I could've imagined.  

Koen, thanks for being you.  I love your tender heart, that you often take notice of how others around you feel and desire to help them in whatever spot they are in.  I love your confidence, your appreciation for organization and routine and a solid plan.  And I love the interest you already show in getting to know more about the Lord and I pray this is an area that grows from interest into passion as you age.  I'm so thankful for the blessing you are in our lives.  

Now, for the birthday recap (wiping away the tears).  Well, Koen went with Doug to an event at our alma mater, Grove City College, on Thursday night, which gave Tavin, Penn and I the perfect opportunity to prepare for Koen's birthday.  First we made special birthday muffins (double chocolate banana muffins!).  Penn doesn't usually get to help too much, but Tav and I found him some good age-appropriate jobs.  Here are my little helpers (Penn is totally doing his weird cross-eyed, stunned look on purpose!).
Next I set the boys to work making birthday cards.  They worked so hard to make these nice for Koen.  It was really sweet!

Jansen wasn't really into it.  
Our final project was a surprise birthday poster.  Tav and Penn had a lot of fun decorating around my lettering.  They took everything so seriously!  Tavin's work is to the left, Penn's to the right.
Well, the hard work paid off.  Koen was really sweet about all our preparations.  He almost seemed a little shy and embarrassed.  We jovially sang him "Happy Birthday" and he was surprised at how he blew out the candles in one breath.


After some muffins and scrambled eggs, it was time to get Koen out to the bus stop and send him off to school.  That gave me the rest of the day to try and find a time to wrap his presents.  About 45 minutes before his return, I finally found the hands-free time for the activity. =)  When Doug got home from work we had Koen open his gifts on the front porch.  It was windy, but warm in the sun and such a treat to be outside!  Koen was really appreciative, sweet and intentional as he opened his gifts.  He was enthusiastic about each one even though some of them were practical in nature.  So thankful for his attitude!  Here are the abbreviated present pics, starting with the boy crew I live with...that's a lot of boys!
The little bros were quite interested in the process, but they both were great about this beign Koen's day and they didn't mind at all not getting any presents for themselves.  
Card from Gramma and Grampa.  I love that Koen can read his own cards.  So amazing to have such a grown-up kid!
Super surprise and excitement when he opened his gift from Gramma and Grampa.  A Pokemon tin with new cards.  I don't really know much about Pokemon (and I'm not sure he really gets it totally either), but this social kid loves trading cards with his friends.  He is so excited to have some new ones to work with and finally have a safe place to store his cards.  


Way overdue, but we finally bought a real, legit backpack for Koen.  He'd been using a nice one that we received free years ago and this year it finally got dilapidated enough that we chose to invest in the everlastingly-guaranteed LLBean backpack.  I had one myself (still have it and would pass it on to the boys if it weren't purple!).  Koen was super excited about getting a new, cool one with lots of pockets! 
Koen's biggest gift was that we enrolled him in a soccer training league run by the Riverhounds, the minor league soccer team here in Pittsburgh.
He also got cleats to go along with it since he will be needing them.  He was so thrilled! 
Well, after enjoying the fresh air and gift merriment, we piled into the car to get pizza and milkshakes for Koen's choice of birthday dinner and treat.  With rush hour traffic, it took a bit to get there, but we made it and had a yummy dinner.  Here we are at the pizza place.  Still kind of hard to believe we really have four little Melders!
Then we went across the street to the best milk shake spot in the city (and maybe the world), The Milkshake Factory.  Koen, the birthday boy, got his own chocolate milkshake.  Tav and Penn split one (2/3 for T, 1/3 for P).  They were all big fans.
Penn had never had a milkshake before.  He LOVED the treat.  We got right back to the car after getting them and he was walking so slowly whilst enjoying his shake.  It was too precious not to turn around and document with my camera.  So cute!


We got home right before the boys' bedtime and of course things went a little awry with everyone being tired, but in general it was a great birthday celebration with Koen.  I loved celebrating it simply as a family.  Just making Koen feel special from the people who love him the most and know him the best.  We love you, Koen!!  Can't wait to see what lies ahead in this, your year as an 8 year old!

No comments:

Post a Comment