Saturday, June 1, 2013

Time at the Lake, Part 1

In searching for a blog post title this morning, I was inspired by the cute homemade coaster underneath my cocoa mug here at our friend's cottage at the lake.  Fitting backdrop too.
This weekend we are at this beautiful cottage on Findley Lake, NY.  If you've been reading the blog for a long time you may recognize the scenery.  Our dear friends have generously let us stay here on a number of occasions.  We've come to associate this place with rest and refreshment and the boys are beginning to remember it well and look forward to the different rural adventures it provides.  This time we are up here because Doug is doing a wedding about a half hour from here and rather than stay at home in the hot and humid city, he thought it'd be great to stay away as a family.  I agree!  Good idea, babe.  =)  We got here Thursday night.  The boys did well on the trip and were great getting settled in and spending their first night here.  Friday was full of fun.  First Doug got the bikes all set (including assembling and mounting the new bike seat...thanks Gramma and Grampa!).  Here they are headed out on a bike ride during Penn's morning nap.
And then Doug texted me this picture from their destination, a little mill at one end of the lake.
Once they got home Doug and Koen were anxious to figure out how to get out on the water.  Ah, yes, a paddleboat would be just about right.  Koen was surprisingly confident on the water (yay for nautical blood in his veins!) and quickly grasped steering with the little tiller.  He is also quite the peddler even though he has to sit on the very edge of the seat to reach them properly.
After Doug took Koen out (and they found a super huge fish which they are calling the sea monster).  They came back for Tavin.  Again, I was impressed that he had no fear about getting on the watercraft and heading out.  

I fed Penn while they stayed out for awhile and when they got back we had lunch, then I got to take Koen and Tav out on the paddleboat too.  It felt so good to be out on the water with my boys.  (If you don't know it, I'm a fish at heart and grew up in the water and on the water so I LOVE exposing my boys to it!).  

After this outing, it was time for Tav's nap.  He was worn out!  It took him awhile to settle, but thankfully he did pass out eventually.  Poor Penn wasn't himself Friday morning at all.  He seems to be allergic to something here.  One side of his face has a rash and his eye is all puffy and running and so his nose.  Poor little bug.  Two pictures to prove it.

In the evening, Doug was off doing the rehearsal and so it was up to Mommy to keep the boys busy.  Since we are up here in the woods and at the lake, I knew I had to get them outside.  Thankfully there were lawn games in the basement of the cottage, so I set a few up on the lawn by the lake and the boys played while I cheered them on and fed Penn.
Penn looked a little better in the evening.  I had to get some pictures of his sweet face against the lovely, natural backdrop.  You can see his left eye is still not normal, but he looks better!


Before heading in for the big boys to eat their dinner they enjoyed a little more playtime with Tav's diggers I brought from home (these have been such amazing toys...portable, fun and workable).  Tavin was especially thrilled that Koen wanted to play with him.  They've been having some brotherly love issues lately, so I think it was such a relief to Tav to just play with Koen (rather than defend himself).  

That was about it for the night.  The boys were ravenous for their dinner after their day of outdoor fun.  They all slept good and we are already having a fun morning.  We went out for a walk/bike ride.  After Penn and I parted to return home for Penn's morning nap, Doug sent me these pics.  Koen and Tavin in a cute woodsy pose.
And then throwing rocks into the water (Koen skipped one!).
Well, stay tuned for updates.  Having fun at Findley Lake!  Oh, PS - Penn's eye is looking much better today.  I will be sure to include some good looking photos of his sweet face soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment