Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Happy Birthday to Me (& Hidden Valley Holiday Wrap-Up)

On the eve of my birthday, before heading to bed I peeked out the sliding door at the moon.  I'm not sure if you heard, but it was supposed to be amazing and indeed, it was.  It was particularly fun to be out in the wide open space to really appreciate it's bright hue without the distraction of city lights.  These pictures don't do it justice, but it was amazing.  Perhaps an early birthday present from the Lord?  =)

I didn't really think Doug or the boys had anything up their sleeves for my birthday (which was fine), but it turns out I underestimated them.  Doug is such a sweetheart and while I was out on a morning walk before the boys got up, he snuck them out of their rooms and they baked some chocolate chip muffins for their chocolate-loving mom.  He had also had Koen prepare a card ahead of time and he helped Tavin make one as well.  So sweet (not to mention I loved my time alone on my morning walk in the woods).  Here we are at breakfast.
Koen was so proud to review his card with me.  

My birthday just means that Penn's is only days away.  He's pretty excited (and I'm an emotional wreck that he's already turning 1)!
After our lovely breakfast we did some prep work for our departure from Hidden Valley and then Koen, Tavin and I left Penn to nap at the house while Doug did the final packing jobs and we went for our last swim.  I had so much fun with my big boys!  I'm a fish and love to be in the water swimming around, so this was a birthday treat to be playing with Koen and Tavin in the pool for most of an hour.  After that, we headed back to the house to change and then leave.  But don't worry, the adventure isn't over yet!  During the wedding festivities this weekend, the bride's grandmother took an interest in Doug (this is not the first-time that the family matriarchs have taken a liking to Doug).  She lives right in Ligonier near the fort, so she thought we might enjoy a trip to the Fort and its museum.  She gave Doug passes for us the night of the wedding...so sweet and thoughtful!  That sealed our plans that we should indeed take the boys into Ligonier on Sunday before heading back to the city.  Doug had staked out the restaurant options for wifey's birthday lunch and chosen, "The Kitchen."  Great choice!  They have amazing eggs benedict and they serve breakfast until 3pm, so we both tried some.  Very happy customers.  Here's the quaint spot.  We ate outside of course (it's my birthday, so of course, as much as possible needs to be outside).

After our yummy meal, we walked down to the Fort.  It turned out that it was a special event day...a re-enactment!  The little guys were nervous about the super loud blanks being fired out of the muskets, but Koen, of course, was intrigued.  It was about 85 and there was no shade, so for all those reasons Tav and Penn and I spent most of our time there in the air conditioned museum.  Koen and Doug braved the elements and gunfire.  Here you can see the Indians moving towards the fort.

A little while later the British were holding them back outside the gate.

Doug and I were very impressed with the museum and we would like to return to be able to walk through the fort area (we couldn't do it due to the re-enactment and honestly, the heat was a little too intense anyways).  Koen and Doug did a quick walk-through inside too.  Here are all 3 boys sort of at the end of their stamina around the cannon.  Tav loved his map and here is practically eating it for some reason.  Koen looks half asleep and Penn is holding both his feet.  Now that's a picture.
At this point it was past 2pm and the boys were starting to show it, but we had one more stop.  The Ligonier Creamery.  Koen had been hoping for a family ice cream date throughout the entire holiday weekend, so finally he was getting his wish in honor of my birthday.  We also got to combine it with a meetup with a sweet couple from our church in Oakland who are from the area and happened to be in Ligonier as well.  It was fun to catch up and of course, we all enjoyed our sweet treats.  I had "5 chocolates."  It's their best-selling flavor: chocolate chips, chocolate chunks, chocolate fudge and two kinds of chocolate ice cream (one from Eastern PA and one from Western PA).  Yum!  After that we hit the road (around 3pm).  We were home by 4pm.  Who knew Ligonier was so close?  Doug and I hadn't been there since our first anniversary and we both didn't recall how cute, quaint and pleasant it was.  We look forward to making that day trip several times in the future with family, friends or just the boys.  Back to the end of our trip.  When we arrived home the boys were totally tired out.  Penn decided to somehow not fall asleep on the way home, so he caught a catnap in his crib upon arrival back home.  Koen sort of "helped" unpack with Doug and Tav was so excited to be home with his toys he just stayed upstairs playing.  Once Doug and I were done scurrying around unloading and unpacking we got the boys outside in the sprinkler through dinnertime and then they went straight to bath and then were in bed (and shortly thereafter asleep) at 6:45pm.  Doug, the awesome husband he is, had arranged for a friend to come over and hang at the house so that we could walk to dinner in Shadyside.  It was a perfect end to our getaway weekend and my birthday.  We went to Girasole.  The food was delicious, the atmosphere was quaint and the pace was relaxed.  I loved it.  Oh, and for the second time in one day, the server brought me a birthday dessert on the house (it happened at lunch too!).  
Well, it was a super full and fun day with my boys.  I'm so thankful for all the Lord has blessed me with...my husband, my sons, my family, my friends.  The gratefulness and happiness from that totally helps me overlook the fact I'm actually a year older. =)  Well, after several days away and then a day devoted to making me feel special it's going to be tough getting back into the swing of things! 

1 comment: