Monday, June 10, 2013

Weekend Catchup

The weekend flew by!  Doug was slammed with work (for a pastor that means doing a wedding rehearsal, a wedding and preaching 3 times).  Thankfully we still got much of Friday with him.  I didn't catch any pictures of him being his awesome Daddy self, but I did get one snapshot of a common close to our day.  Koen and Tavin are playing soccer in the backyard (with Doug).  This time, Penn is taking it all in from inside the screen door while enjoying one of his favorite pastimes, Tupperware lids.
On Saturday, Doug was out the door as I was feeding the boys breakfast, so it was a full-on Mommy day.  It was a fun day (so thankful for the great weather!).  We went on a scooter walk before Penn's morning nap.  The gas line replacement going on throughout our neighborhood has provided months of fun outings.

My new summer challenge to myself is to read more with Koen.  We read a lot of chapter books and that is usually before bed, but I miss diving into the imaginative picture books that he enjoys so much when I bring them home from the library for him.  During Penn's morning nap is a great time to read with the big boys.  Koen really enjoyed it and I was excited to start fulfilling my goal and spending this quality time with him now that he's out of school.  After Penn's nap we whisked him away in the stroller and went to the library.  It was a fantastic visit.  The boys were very content.  Koen spent about 20 minutes coloring a picture for the librarian (first he had to have his light just right).

Penn is so enjoying being a part of things now that he is sitting up and army-crawling around.  Here he is happily playing with a library toy.
After the library we headed up to a neighborhood playground for some outdoor playtime and a picnic lunch.  The boys were thrilled and played so well together.  It is so nice to see that happen here and there (seriously, lately it's been a lot of the opposite!).  They both enjoyed this apparatus (not sure what it is exactly).  

The playground went so well that after their dinner that evening I took them back.  Unfortunately the outcome was not as positive.  Koen bullied a little kid with an overly aggressive dad (yeah, quite nerve-racking) and Tavin spit on another kid (yep, not joking, it happened).  So, that was a slice of humble pie for this mom of boys.  Apparently all very natural things and we did have some very teachable moments (and the Lord was so gracious because there were some very positive, well-communicated ones), but still, not the end of the day I was expecting.  Doug came home from preaching such a good sermon and had to hear about the intense playground visit and then went on to make us some pizza while I finished getting Koen to bed.  While he was making the pizza he totally cut into his finger losing some nail and flesh underneath.  Gross and frustrating.  Poor guy!  I felt awful.  Here he is after a super long day making pizza and he cuts himself really badly (not a great wifey moment especially since for the first time in my life I thought I might faint when I saw the damage).  We got it bandaged and he felt much better by the next morning (phew because he still had two more sermons to preach).  So, all in all, weird night, but otherwise, good weekend thus far.  =)

No comments:

Post a Comment