Sunday, November 10, 2013

Away with K, Part 2

So, we finally did arrive in Florida on Saturday morning at 9:25am CST (actually 20 minutes early!).  Phew!  Now we could really relax and enjoy ourselves.  Phil picked us up and we headed back to his place for lunch.  During our drive there I received some updates from home.  The boys had huge appetites at breakfast.  Tavin was especially happy about the bacon Nana had brought to share.
Penn was checking Nana out as she fed him his oatmeal.  He wasn't too sure, but he was hungry, so he went along with it.
Oh look!  He still loves me even though I left for the weekend! (I laid that shirt out for his pajamas before leaving just so he wouldn't forget about me).
Doug and his mom and his niece, Katie, had taken Tav and Penn to the library for a fun Curious George story time.

So it looked like despite Tav's pretty rough cold they were getting along OK.  Good to know, again helping me relax and get on with vacationing!  We arrived at Phil's around 11am.  Elizabeth woke up soon after and it was so fun seeing this little one (the last time I saw her she was only 3 months old!).  Such a cutie!
Eleanor was a little bashful when we arrived, but quickly warmed up.  She is so interested in Koen.  It's so special and definitely makes the laborious trip to get here totally worth it!  Here are Koen and Eleanor together before our fun post-lunch outing.

So it just so happens that on this particular Saturday, Phil's base had scheduled for family pictures with the jets and Koen and I got to go along and get some pics too!  Such a special treat to be on base, in the hangar with Uncle Phil, the jet fighter pilot (seriously cool uncle status, huh?).
There goes the cute little family to squish into the cockpit for pics!
They also took some pictures under the jet.  Koen wanted to play photographer and he actually got this quite good one!
Koen and I got our turn.  Koen was pretty excited (and not uber patient).
He wanted one all on his own as well.  Future fighter pilot in Uncle Phil's footsteps perhaps?
Here's another of the proud nephew just soaking up this special experience.  
Koen was a helpful distraction and playmate for Eleanor as she loves to move.  He kept her contained in a game of chase under the tail of the plane.  I thought it was so cute and a pretty cool candid.
Koen was again playing photographer and snapped this picture of Elizabeth and I.  She's so cute!
I couldn't resist getting another one of this precious face.  She re-steals my heart every time I come down here.  
On the way out we got to see a few more jets. 
Koen obviously didn't want to leave, but the little girls had to get their nap.  Uncle Phil had more fun plans up his sleeve though.  We almost immediately headed back out for some boating.  While Phil got the boat situated Koen and I found hermit crabs.
Koen got a chance to drive the boat a little.  At first it was insane as he whipped us all over the bay, but later he really got the knack for using small adjustments to keep the boat on course.  Very impressive and very special to see my brother teach Koen a new skill.
Koen was quite proud of himself and immediately felt like a pro-boater.  He mounted himself to the bow and was giving my brother advice as we headed towards the bridge.  Oh Koen!
After all our adventures we finally took a break and Koen had some downtime.  After Eleanor's nap, Phil & Leah had some friends over and we all headed back into the backyard to watch the sunset and play.  After it got dark the kids got to do a cute Thanksgiving craft Leah had prepared for them.  Koen loved it.  His favorite part was writing what he was thankful for upon the turkey's leaves.

Needless to say that after such a full day, a yummy grilled burger and a final run-out of energy Koen totally crashed and had a good rest (as did I!!!).  We woke up refreshed on Sunday morning, ready for another full day of Florida fun.  Koen and I played outside after breakfast.  He needed to burn off some steam before we went to church.  He played with Eleanor's big wheel and it was hilarious to watch.
Church was very nice.  I always love sitting next to family members at a church service (see, I usually go alone).  It is especially nice to have those familiar voices singing during worship that I remember so vividly, but yet get to hear so infrequently.  I cherish those simple, significant moments.  Koen opted to sit with us in the service and I pause to mention it because he did an amazing job just being quiet and coloring during the whole sermon.  It was outstanding (and I got a little payback later with some boundless energy and misbehavior, but oh well).  After church we headed home and out onto the boat to cross the bay and get some lunch.  While Phil packed the boat up, Eleanor and Koen played on the swings which is turning into a favorite cousin pastime.
Here we are all settled on the bow of the boat (excuse the squinty eyes, this is my sunny look).
Eleanor and I have been getting along great.  She and I had some fun on the bow while I tried to keep her contained for her parents. =)
Koen was pleading to get a chance to drive (and I felt oh so bad that he would be so intense about it when we've been blessed with so much fun on this trip...tough to satisfy these kids, perhaps he'll understand how blessed he is in a few more years?).  Uncle Phil let him steer eventually and he was ecstatic (and actually did a great job).
After lunch we headed back home on the boat with a scenic stop on a local little bayou inlet full of shrimp boats.  Then it was time for the little girls to go to nap.  It is so weird not having my little nappers along!  Koen and I went on a scooter walk and then returned for him to have some much needed down time enjoying a DVD.  Afterwards Koen and I hung out by Phil's dock.  Last night Koen discovered a really fun new activity...catching hermit crabs!  Tonight he caught six.  He is so proud of himself and loves to show his cool Uncle Phil his little accomplishments.  
 
While out at the edge of the water collecting hermit crabs, we saw dolphins playing at the end of the dock (so close that we heard the blow hole noise!) and then while Koen's toes were at the edge of the water a sting ray swam by and raised a fin to wave.  Oh my goodness, what an amazing backyard!!!  Koen was loving all the natural activity and I loved seeing him soak it up.  One of my favorite things is seeing my boys just enjoying the simple things heartily.  That was Koen tonight.  Oh, and yes, check out the gorgeous sunset we took in amidst all the other splendor.
After the sun went down Koen and Eleanor had some more craft time.  Tonight they painted canvases (yeah for Aunt Leah having these little crafts all planned!).  Koen made a caboose.  We aren't sure what Eleanor made, but it's colorful. =)

The kids then ate dinner and had a final playtime before bed.  Here's Koen getting to know Elizabeth a little bit.  She is a sweetie and just so happy!
Right before bed Koen got to see Uncle Phil's "Ham Shack."  If you've read my blog for a long time you know about my dad being an Amateur Radio Operator (or Ham).  Well, Phil is actually one too.  He has a small radio in the basement basically for the purpose of calling his dear old Dad back home.  They had scheduled a call so that Koen could hear Grampa on the radio.  Koen loved it.  Phil even made up a call sign for him, K0EN.  (The "o" is a zero).
Eleanor ran in to hear Grampa's voice too.  She loves to be in on the action (and see what Koen is up to!).
After this final activity we got all the kids through bathtime/bedtime and settled into a nice, relaxing dinnertime as adults.  What a fantastic, full, family day here in Florida. 

No comments:

Post a Comment