Saturday, December 14, 2013

Happy Birthday, Snowman Style

Today we celebrated Tavin's birthday (coming up on Tuesday) with a few of our friends.  I wasn't planning on really making it a birthday party, but more of a gathering, but I started to feel a little sad and guilty about that, so on Thursday night after having a hard time falling back asleep after Koen had woken up coughing I devised a frugal, yet fun plan for Tav's party.  With a December birthday, I really try and not have Christmas completely run into this special boy's special day, so I thought I'd capitalize on winter instead.  A snowman theme seemed easy enough to execute in my limited timeframe and non-existent budget.  The first idea I had was to find a free image online and print it for a sign to welcome friends.  
I also made 4 smaller copies to help make up some favors/thank you's.

As you see the favors were some snowman cut-out cookies that Koen and Tavin and I made during the day on Friday and I decorated with milk chocolate.
Prior to my party planning I had asked Tavin if he wanted me to make a cake for our gathering of friends.  He said he wanted chocolate chip cookies, well, since I just did that for his preschool class, I thought I'd make it a little more special and festive with a chocolate chip cookie cake (which I figured I could handle shaping into a snowman).  Turned out pretty cute!!  I didn't have a platter big enough for him, so I just put him on a long sheet of construction paper and wrote a birthday greeting in white crayon.  I was so happy with the way it turned out!
I also came up with a craft based off of things I already had on hand.  Seriously earning frugality points here, right?  The craft was a "decorate your own snowman."  I just glued construction paper and a cut-out of a snowman's body on a piece of cardboard and then laid out lots of supplies for the kids to glue onto the snowman.  Here's the before.
And here's a few shots of the artists at work.  


Penn and Andy (about two months apart) made up their own activity while the big kids were doing the craft.  They played under the table.  Big bro Alex jumped down to check it out.
Doug attempted to get a picture of me and the birthday boy.  This was the best we could get.

I also made a "pin the carrot nose on the snowman" game.  Tav was a little weirded out by it, but Koen loved it, so that was a little satisfying.  I think the adults enjoyed the entertainment of the kids doing it more than the kids enjoyed the game.  Oh well!  Here's a few highlights.  It was funny how low Koen thought the face was his first few attempts.  Turns out the snowman got a few carrots for legs!
Huxley was a little nervous about the game, but was a good sport and gave it a try.

 Koen got better with each attempt.

Doug was also a good sport and gave the game a try to rally the kiddos into it a little more.  The adults again had a great laugh!


 Nate got both his boys into it and Alex was the one to get the carrot second closest.
Andy's got a little crumpled. =)
After the game and craft, we had the cookie cake, snowman cookies and fruit as a birthday party snack.  Tavin was really excited to be sung to and he loved his cake.  It was so satisfying to see.  I loved doing these simple, but thoughtful things for him and it was rewarding to see him enjoy it.

Honestly I think that Tavin's favorite part of his celebration was a morning with his friends and brothers.  Tavin was so excited to have his buddies over and all the kids played really well together.  We were so thankful to celebrate Tavin's 4th birthday in the company of his godparents, Nate and Megan and their two guys, Alex and Andy and with Alex and Hilary and their kids, Delia and Huck who have been friends with our guys since babyhood.  The kids' playtime was probably their favorite time and ours since they did so well that it afforded us nice time to catch up as adults.  All in all, it was a great morning with friends and I was so thankful to make a big deal of Tavin's birthday.  Thanks to everyone for coming and making it so special!

1 comment:

  1. Amy! This looks like a super-sweet party. I might use your theme next year for Joshua's 2nd b-day since he and Tavin share a birthday! Very creative!!!

    ReplyDelete