Friday, February 21, 2014

Springspiration

As if leaving family wasn't enough, we also had to leave the warmth and sunshine.  I came home overly emotional and just a tad depressed about all of that.  I looked at my winter decorations in disdain when we returned home (and was even more put off by the thick layer of dust that had collected in this old house while we were away).  I needed to 1) clean and 2) bring a touch of the glimpse of Spring we saw in Texas into the home to get me through the rest of this winter here in the Burgh.  I decided to go with muted green tones.  It's only February, so I'm not ready to bust out the pastels, but I just needed to see life and not gray!  My biggest inspiration was the random and miraculous green we were surprised with at the ends of the branches I cut off our Dogwood bushes months ago as a part of my winter decor.  They naturally transitioned to Spring, so I thought, so must I.  
Now, we've only been home a few days and I haven't had a chance to do any sort of fun, creative shopping trip, so this redecorate was going to have to all be from things I had on hand.  I quickly glanced around Pinterest for some Pinspiration and stumbled upon these knock-off Pottery Barn topiaries.  I actually had some of the green moss ball things from a few years ago in the basement.  I still have a big branch from our Christmas tree with lots of off shoots in the basement, so I cut it down for the trunks of the topiaries.  I smashed some scissors into the balls to make a hole in them and then pushed the stick in with a little hot glue on the end.  Ta-da!  I decided to change up the base since I had loads of dehydrated split peas in just the perfect hue of green.  It also dresses the topiaries up a little to have them sitting in crystal rather than wrapped in burlap or cloth.
I used the remainder of my split peas as a base for some candles in vases all gathered together as the centerpiece for the dining room table.  

It's fresh, it's clean, a tad minimalistic, but I'm refreshed by it and feel less like it's winter around here and a little more like Spring is around the corner (not to mention I also cleaned the whole first floor and having it squeaky clean is good for this neat freak's soul too!).  Why do I write a blog post about my creative activity?  Well, I'm a tad proud of myself for making something out of nothing and being happy with the outcome and also as an encouragement to those of you that claim to not be so creative.  If I can do it, you can too.

No comments:

Post a Comment