Saturday, August 30, 2014

Koen's First Day of Second Grade!!

I would say, "where has the summer gone?" except that we packed so much into it, I'm not surprised that it's time for the school year to start.  And it was a fulfilling and fun summer, so I feel satisfied as we head into the routine of the school year (almost a little relieved after planning and preparing for oh so many adventures this summer!).  A few weeks ago, Koen was not enthusiastic about heading back to school.  He kept asking me to homeschool him.  After my experience attempting to teach him swimming lessons myself and piano lessons myself, I'm not sure he (or I) am cut out for homeschooling any time soon.  Thankfully after driving past his beloved school on our way home from NH, then having fun stocking up on the school supplies requested from his teachers and packing up his bag, etc., he got into the mood and actually quite excited.  Phew!!

He was a little hesitant and shy once we arrived at school, but I talked him into a picture anyways.  
I walked him into his old classroom to turn in his summer reading projects to his First Grade teacher, then we went to find his new classroom and his new teacher.  Several friends saw him in the hallway or in the classroom and greeted him by name, but he was too distracted to even say hello!  Oh dear!  He was just checking out the lay of the land, where he was sitting, etc.  He was sweet to me, but I didn't want to be too lovey or anything and embarrass him, so I exited when I thought he was all set.  He calmly (yet shyly) went to his assigned seat.  And I left just wishing I could be a fly on the wall and watch his day step-by-step.  I had milk & cookies waiting for him when he arrived home on the bus though, so thankfully he was happy to chat and fill me in on at least a few of the details of his day (mostly how much he ate at lunch, recess and other inconsequentials...oh well, maybe other days I'll get some real details!). 
As you can tell, I was thinking about Koen all day while he was away.  Such a big change from having him around ALL THE TIME in the summer to having him gone from 8:15am-3:30pm.  I left him a note for his lunch box.  He was happy to get it, he said he was thinking about us too.  

Tavin also missed his big brother and told him that he thought about him all day.  How sweet is that?  I gotta say I didn't miss the bickering between those two while Koen was at school, but I loved seeing the genuine joy to be unified once more at the end of Koen's first day of school.  We all went out and celebrated Koen's first day by getting pizza with some good friends that evening.  A great start to Second Grade, Koen!  I am truly praying that this year you continue to grow in wisdom and stature and in favor with God and man.  Love you, my Second Grader!!

PS - Tavin, Penn and I had a fun day together.  We mostly were around the house, but we did take a lovely walk to Osceola to meet Dr. Megan and Marshall for a little while.  The mornings have been so beautifully cool, yet sunny.  Such a gorgeous time to be out!  Here's the two little buddies in the baby swings.
Tavin also had a special afternoon outing with his Daddy.  It was Tav's turn for a Pirates game date with Doug.  This kid was so excited.  He'd been talking about it since last week when Koen had his special Pirate outing with Daddy.  Although the afternoon got really hot, he still had a blast.  Here he is looking a little overtired, but happy (and refreshed by his messy chocolate ice cream).


No comments:

Post a Comment